Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Sometimes Motherhood Isn't Pretty

Recent case in point: I would not be dressed today if I had not slept in my clothes last night.

Now, to be fair to myself, this multi-purpose outfit was free of pee, puke, poop, snot or other baby-related stains. I cannot specifically recall whether or not I applied deodorant yesterday morning, however, so it's not all good news for those of us waking up to a baby-care hangover in the morning.

I also could not find my prescription sunglasses this afternoon when LO and I ventured out (both of us *still* wearing the clothes we had put on yesterday), and it was remarkably bright out today. So to prove that I am a hip, with-it and totally cool Mama, despite the rumpled jeans and tee shirt, I placed my non-prescription sunglasses on over my glasses. Oh, yes, I'm that awesome.

LO and I had to go to Walmart to pick up a prescription. And though that place often makes me fear for the future of not only our society but also our survival as a species, I will say that it helps put the whole "still wearing yesterday's clothes and it's not because of a cool Vegas-style bender" incident into perspective. On my way in, I passed a woman wearing a muumuu, perched on a Rascal scooter. Her preteen son followed. He had a half-eaten Twinkie in one hand and a half-eaten stick of beef jerky in the other. (You can't make this shit up, folks).

In one moment, it became clear that despite my clothes-rewearing and sunglasses-doubling, I was going to be just fine.

LO, however, has been scarred for life.

Again.

1 comment:

  1. oh, Indiana....and Walmart...making the rest of us look good.

    ReplyDelete