Thursday, May 19, 2011

Mr. Mercurial

My young man has lately been showing himself to be on a bit of an emotional roller coaster. The child will be giggling with joy one minute and screaming in rage the next. My favorite confusing emotion is when LO is smiling and crying at the same time. It's like when it rains while the sun is shining. You can't decide whether to go ahead with your plan to go swimming, or head inside and watch movies all day. And no matter what you decide, it's wrong.

Those who know me personally are probably not surprised that I have such an emotional chameleon for a son. I have been infamous for my flights of emotional instability, and I have even patented my "Turn-on-a-Dime" mood technology. (Mood rings never know what to do with me.)

We do know that being upside-down is a recipe for instant happiness for LO. If ever we hold the child by his feet and his mouth does not immediately erupt into a cloud-parting, angel-singing smile, then we have less than 60 seconds to get the child somewhere private with a breast before WWIII commences. It's a pretty good mood thermometer, although there are some places where it could be awkward. ("Ma'am, could you please put your child down? The people behind you can't see the wedding ceremony.")
I'm just worried about once he's older and not quite so pick-up-able: "Mom, I'm 17. You're going to give yourself a hernia." "No, no, LO, I know how much you love being upside down." "For heaven's sake, Mom, will you let go...YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!"

It's the simple joys.

No comments:

Post a Comment