Thursday, July 12, 2012

Just When I Think...

I don't much like being told what to do.

J is of a similar bent.

We had a child:



This has placed us in a three-sided stubborn face-off, as anyone knowing the two of us could have predicted.

As I've mentioned before, LO seems perfectly capable of speaking, he just chooses not to.  Also, when I ask him to do something--like pick up his toys, put something away, hand me something just out of my reach--he looks at me as if he has no idea what I'm talking about, but the gleam in his eye tells me that he's just living up to his stubborn potential.

J and I are, in the words of Leonard Hofstadter "attached to another plane, wrapped helically around an axis."

And then, this happened:

This morning, as J was heading out the door for work, I said to LO, "Give your daddy a kiss."

With no hesitation, the child leaned into J and planted a smacker on his daddy's cheek.  He'd never done that before--with or without prompting.

The lesson here is that the child will do what we ask, as long as it's something he wants to do.

Right now, I don't have a problem with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment